The bad weather is over. You rode out the storm and now what? Whether or not you incurred damage from the recent natural disaster, here are a few tips to get you back on your feet when Mother Nature wreaks havoc in your area.
1. Assess the damage. What happened to the exterior of your house? What happened to the interior of your house? Identify items that have been completely destroyed and must be replaced and items that can be fixed. Then, determine what you can replace or fix yourself and what will require contacting an outside source.
2. Prioritize the damages. What needs to be fixed right away? What damages can you live with if you can’t get them replaced or fixed immediately?
3. Contact your insurance company, insurance agent, or a public adjuster to report the damages. Make a list of what has happened. Make sure you have both your auto (in case there was damage to your car) and homeowners/condo/renters policy numbers available.
4. Depending on your priorities, here are types of companies you may have to consider contacting. You may have a list of contractors you typically use. If not, now is the time to reach out to friends, neighbors, and family for recommendations. The next time you will have your list readily available. Make up file folders for every type of home improvement/maintenance. This will help you stay organized by filing estimates, work orders, payment receipts, etc. for contractors used for repairs and replacement.
- Fire and water damage clean-up and repair
- Mold remediation
- Glass repair and replacement
- Tree and limb removal
- Roof repair
- Gutter cleaning and repairing
You can’t avoid natural disasters, but you can control how you react to them and move forward.
At the time of a loss, it is not always easy to remain emotionally detached. If you, or anyone you know, need help putting things back in order, please contact me. I am happy to inspire, motivate, and help you create order out of chaos. The sooner you de-clutter and organize, the sooner you can get on with your life and the more.
Referrals are the best compliments.
BB’s Clutter Solutions is located in Cherry Hill, NJ and serves New Jersey (north and south), Philadelphia and its Pennsylvania suburbs, and New York City. Contact information: www.bb-clutter-solutions.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, 856-912-0077.