Five (5) Tips to Gear Up for 2018!
[I wrote this blog post for the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals – Greater Philadelphia Chapter (NAPO-GPC).]
Whether your office is in your home or away from home, now is the perfect time to start getting organized for 2018. The holidays have not officially started, even though you wouldn’t know it by the decorations in some stores or the commercials on TV already. In addition, tax time will be here before you know it.
Think how you would feel if you did not use your floor or dining room table for a filing cabinet. C’mon now, I know you do!
Here are five (5) tips to help you get your office in order:
- Go through your filing cabinet and recycle or shred that which you don’t need anymore. Make sure your files and their names are still working for you. If things have changed, change the file name to make it more meaningful. Do the same with your virtual files. They can mimic how you set up your paper files.
- Clean out your desk drawers. Keep what you use, putting like with like. If something is broken, throw it out (or recycle it responsibly if it’s an electronic piece of equipment or anything else with a cord) or donate it if no longer used.
- Clear off the top of your desk. If there is a lot of paper, shred, recycle, or make up new files for that which you are keeping.
- Clean out your supply area. Make sure the materials that you have are current – if not, or if you don’t need some or all of them, shred, recycle, or trash them.
- Rearrange your furniture. Now might be the time for you to look at the window instead of staring at a wall.
Productivity and efficiency will greatly improve if your office space is organized. You won’t spend an inordinate amount of time looking for things, you won’t spend additional money on items you already have, and you’ll be able to use the freed-up time doing those things that are important to you.
P.S. Now, declutter and organize your floor or dining room table. You have just created extra space in your file cabinets and drawers in which to put those items.
This is Your Time to Go From Bedlam to Brilliance!
Referrals are the best compliments – please feel free to forward!
Serving South Jersey (including Camden, Burlington, Gloucester, Mercer, Salem, Ocean, Atlantic, and Cape May counties), North Jersey, and Philadelphia (including its surrounding counties).